Sure, we communicate with our partner regularly, but the quality (which really matters) is not always a concern. Productive, supportive, positive communication is vital to relationship health.
When communicating with your partner, try to avoid blame, criticism, and judgement. Instead, focus on the good!
Give praise to your partner and share affirmations which help increase the overall quality of communication.
Think about the following:
- Consider attention—How do you give your full attention when your partner is speaking?
- What distractions make it difficult to concentrate on your partner?
- How do you know you have your partner’s full attention when you are speaking?
- Think about what is going on in your mind when your partner is speaking.
- How do you show you are truly processing the message they are sending versus already formulating a response?
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples... that's a great place start!
Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
#PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on PREPARE/ENRICH or to find a facilitator near you, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call us on (02) 9520 4049.