If you expect something from your partner that is completely outside of their capabilities, how can your partner come close to meeting them? Additionally, communicating expectations effectively and managing conflict contributing to expectations is fundamental to ensuring your relationship endures.
Expectations can negatively impact your relationship if they are unrealistic or uncommunicated to your partner.
- Which of your partner’s expectations is most important for you to fulfil?
- When you are not able to meet one of your partner’s expectations, how does that affect your relationship? Additional conflict? Resentment? Disappointment? A new level of compassion? Understanding?
- Do expectations always have a definitive completion point?
- Are some expectations clearly met at a specific time interval while others are on-going?
- What happens if you believe you met an expectation and your partner disagrees?
- What is your definition of fulfilled and what is your partner’s?
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples... that's a great place start!
Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
#PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on PREPARE/ENRICH or to find a facilitator near you, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call us on (02) 9520 4049.