Free time is just that – time free from commitments, obligations, and requirements. Depending on the stage of life, there are factors that determine just how much free time you have. It is important to acknowledge that you probably can’t change the amount of time you have in the free category, but you can change how you choose to spend it.
Now, consider your free time through the lens of your relationship. When you have free time available, you have a choice to choose an activity you do with your partner or an activity you enjoy without your partner.
- On average, how much free time do you and your partner each have in a week?
- What outside factors impact the amount of free time each of you have
- Have you discussed preferences for how you and your partner enjoy spending free time together?
- Or do you rely on assumptions from how you have historically enjoyed time together?
- How have you and your partner’s preferences changed over time?
- Is the free time you and your partner spend together quality time?
- How is “quality” defined? Are there times when quantity is favoured over quality.
To ensure you keep a healthy balance, talk with your partner about expectations and the reality of the choices you each make regarding your free time.
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples... that's a great place start!
Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
#PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on PREPARE/ENRICH or to find a facilitator near you, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call us on (02) 9520 4049.