By scheduling and preparing to discuss important issues with your partner, you are setting your journey up for success. By making sure you and your partner are both ready to discuss important relationship issues, you need to check your environment and where you will discuss physically - check your space.
- Is your environment appropriate?
- Do your kids require your attention? Is the TV on?
- Is your phone on the highest volume?
- Is your computer/tablet within reach?
- Is the oven timer about to beep, signaling dinner is ready?
- Neutralize as many distractions as you can.
- Try to occupy your kids with other activities, turn off the TV, put your phone on silent and flip it over so you can’t see notifications, put away your computer/tablet, and maybe try discussing after dinner. Of course, it’s okay to keep a device at hand if you’re using it to read through the CoupleCheckup Discussion Guide.
2. Is the physical location appropriate?
- Where are you going to discuss?
- Sitting at the kitchen table or on the couch?
- While on a walk through your neighborhood?
- Find a location that is comfortable and somewhat private so you can have those honest discussions.
We suggest placing yourselves shoulder to shoulder instead of knee to knee, as it promotes the idea that you are on the same team. It will feel less confrontational than being across from each other.
Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
#PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on PREPARE/ENRICH or to find a facilitator near you, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call us on (02) 9520 4049.