Family and friends are part of a larger system that can provide encouragement to your relationship, but that larger system can also be detrimental to your relationship if there is a significant lack of acceptance and support. Regardless of the level of acceptance and support, couples must set appropriate boundaries to to ensure both are comfortable with the level of influence and interference family and friends have on their relationship.
Additionally boundaries must be respected by family and friends, and each need to be on the same page. Your partner’s family and friends, as well as your own, will impact on your relationship in some way. With you partner, work through the following discussion points.
- How do you know your relationship is accepted by your family and friends?
- How do you know your relationship is accepted by your partner’s family and friends?
- How do you know the boundaries of your relationship are both respected by family and friends as well as your partner and yourself?
- Do family and friends cause conflict in your relationship?
- If so, how is this type of conflict normally identified and addressed?
- Do you or your partner become defensive when the topic of family and friends is brought up in discussion?
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples... that's a great place start!
Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
#PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on PREPARE/ENRICH or to find a facilitator near you, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call us on (02) 9520 4049.