There are two skills that will help shape a positive environment for communication in your relationship: assertiveness and active listening.
To recap, assertiveness is expressing your feelings and asking for what you want in the relationship, while active listening is listening attentively without interrupting and restating what was heard. The process of active listening lets the speaker know if their message was accurately received. It’s imperative for the listener to acknowledge the content and the feelings of the speaker.
Think about the following:
- When is it difficult to communicate with your partner?
- What makes it easy to communicate with your partner?
- How is the subject matter an indicator of difficulty or ease?
- How do other environmental factors (time of day, etc.) play a role?
- Think about how you communicate with your partner.
- Brainstorm new ways to communicate with one another (a note left by their keys, a wink across the room, a kind text message, etc.).
When communicating with your partner, try to avoid blame, criticism, and judgement. Instead, focus on the good!
If you and your partner ever feel overwhelmed by your results or the ensuing discussion, we encourage you to seek out professional support. Call us.
Consider taking an assessment or working through our Discussion Guide for Couples... that's a great place start!
Tune in for more tips next week.
Do you need help with an issue or problem? Our approach helps to generate deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations can restore insight and understanding about one another.
#PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on PREPARE/ENRICH or to find a facilitator near you, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call us on (02) 9520 4049.