There are a growing number of social workers and adoption case workers who are integrating the PREPARE/ENRICH assessment into their adoption/foster interview process.
"It's the most objective form of information I have for my interviews. It saves me hours of interviewing time, and I like it because it's positive... I wouldn't do an adoption without one." - Social Worker, Adoption Case-Worker(Adoption/Foster Version offered in English and Spanish)
View the Video here: https://youtu.be/-3X4fNCG1qA
- Identify Healthy Couples - While no relationship is perfect, it is important to place adopted children in homes with healthy role models and stable relationships. PREPARE/ENRICH provides a wealth of information on each individual, their relationship, and their background.
- Prepare Couples - The adoption/foster content is specifically designed to identify unrealistic expectations about adoption and create opportunities for healthy dialogue as couples prepare to bring an adopted/foster child into their family system.
- Save Time - The PREPARE/ENRICH Inventory gathers, organizes, and analyzes a great deal of data in an efficient and proven manner. The average adult completes the inventory in approximately 30-45 minutes. Once both partners are finished, their facilitator can access their results immediately.
- Gather Objective Information - The items and scales in the inventory are statistically valid and reliable. Percentage scores are based on comparisons with a norm group of over 50,000 couples. In other words, facilitators can trust the results they receive.
- Identify Relationship Strengths and Issues - The inventory is often a very positive experience for couples as it is designed to identify relationship strengths. Since both partners answer the same questions independent of one another, the facilitator can also pick up on discrepancies or differences of opinion which might not emerge in a typical interview process.
Modified adoption/foster content is based on feedback and input from consultants and agency directors, reflecting important relationship issues specific to adoption. Two existing scales, Personal Stress and Commitment, were modified slightly to include adoption/foster language. Additionally, three new scales were developed for couples preparing to adopt/foster:
- Adoption/Foster Considerations looks at a range of adoptive/foster issues that specialists report as being important for couples to be aware of and discuss. It measures a couple's readiness and commitment to the adoption/foster process.
- Adoption/Foster Expectations measures how realistic and aware each individual is about the natural challenges faced by couples and families throughout the adoption/foster process.
- Adoptive/Foster Parenting measures agreement on issues related to adopting/fostering and parenting a child, while concurrently maintaining a vibrant couple relationship.
The adoption/foster scales are automatically included when a facilitator selects this option as they register a couple for administration. Every couple completing the adoption/foster version of PREPARE/ENRICH also receives the core relationship categories. Because of the diverse nature of adoptions, the adoption/foster version of PREPARE/ENRICH makes no assumption about the marital status of a couple, presenting content relevant for a committed couple considering adoption/fostering.
- To get started with the Adoption/Foster Version of PREPARE/ENRICH, you will need to become PREPARE/ENRICH Certified by attending a Workshop.
- Once trained, Contact Us to activate the Adoption/Foster Version in your facilitator account.
- The cost to activate the Adoption/Foster Version is $40
At PREPARE/ENRICH Australia, we are committed to providing quality resources for marriage preparation and relationship enrichment. Any questions, please contact us:
Strengthening Relationships Since 1979.
PO Box 448
Sutherland, NSW 1499
ABN: 65 162 790 687
P: (02) 9520 4049