Exploring relationship roles and a remarrying couple’s expectations about how decision making and responsibilities will be shared is vital, and assists understanding each others preferences for traditional or equalitarian roles in their relationship.
Of course all this discussion may be conducted with one or both partners having had the experience of becoming a parent. Whatever the dynamic, it is a great opportunity to raise the issues for further thought and to examine the assumptions they often make about this transition and about one another.
It is important to be on the lookout for divergent views between the couple about having children.
Encouraging individuals to discuss their expectations with regard to career and children, what happens now, how that might change and more importantly how the couple might feel about those changes is vital.
In the case of PREPARE/ENRICH couples remarrying it can be even more complex for the couple who want to become parents together but who have other children. Half and step sibling relationships have to be managed respectfully while the couple negotiate their own roles with, and rules for, their biological child. These may be different to those for the other children who may move between houses and be subject to different rules. A useful starting point for this discussion is:
- “My partner and I are adequately prepared for the realities of blended family living”.
In summary, PREPARE/ENRICH covers most of the key areas including, seeking a difference of opinion about number of children - difficult when one party does not want children) and the timing (very interesting in view of the older couples we are seeing in our couple work).
Participant responses always make for an interesting session.
Time in next week for further discussion on traditional vs equalitarian roles.
- To get started with the Parenting Version of PREPARE/ENRICH, you will need to locate a qualified facilitator of relationship and parental education. PREPARE/ENRICH Certified facilitators can be located in your area by contacting PREPARE/ENRICH or by using the search facility on the website: For Couples
- To get started with the Parenting Version of PREPARE/ENRICH, you will need to become PREPARE/ENRICH Certified by attending a Workshop.
- Once trained, Contact Us to activate the Parenting Version in your facilitator account.
- The cost to activate the Parenting Version is $40
The PREPARE/ENRICH Parenting Version is Now Available: Register here >
PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on the Parenting Version or to simply set up a couple on the tool, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call today (02) 9520 4049 #prepareenrich