Conflict is inevitable in relationships, but if dealt with in a healthy, productive, and respectful way, it can bring you closer as a couple and make your relationship stronger.
- What is the difference between resolving an issue and managing an issue?
- Is it a failure if you and your partner can’t resolve a conflict?
- Are there some conflicts that need to be managed because they can never be completely resolved?
- How does non-verbal communication contribute to dealing with conflict?
- What are non-verbal cues that you give your partner or that your partner gives you that influence the direction of the discussion?
Ask your partner what they often observe as you might not notice your own non-verbal cues, but remember to be respectful.
The next time you find yourself on the verge of an argument, focus on using “I statements” to take responsibility for your own feelings—“I felt (emotion) when (action)”.
Source: DISCUSSION GUIDE FOR COUPLES, PREPARE/ENRICH 2017
#PREPARE/ENRICH is a customised online assessment tool that identifies each couples unique strength and growth areas. Based on their assessment results, a facilitator provides feedback sessions, helping couples to discuss and understand their results while teaching them proven relationship skills.
For more information on PREPARE/ENRICH or to simply set up a couple on the tool, please contact: www.prepare-enrich.com.au or call today (02) 9520 4049 #prepareenrich #strongerrelationships