Marriage mentoring is a couple-to-couple relationship that seeks to help couples live out their vision for marriage. For couples who are intent on building a happy marriage, mentoring brings sage advice, personal support and encouragement, and help in hard times.
Couples sometimes go into the mentoring process without a full understanding of how it can beneﬁt their relationship. Once the couple has met with their marriage mentors a few times, they begin to realise what a powerful and signiﬁcant impact mentoring can have on their marriage. Listed below are some of the many potential beneﬁts to couples being mentored.
Mentors are not:
- Meddlers who interfere or intrude into the personal lives of the couple they are mentoring. Instead, they let them gradually invite couples into their lives as they feel comfortable.
- Experts on marriage and are not know-it-all's. Just being aware of the challenges that face any new husband and wife they are positioned to listen, ask helpful questions, and be an encourager.
- Novices at being married. They may be a novice at being a mentor couple, but they are not a novice at being a married couple. They draw from many years of experience as they relate to the couple they are mentoring.
- Therapists: If couples are dealing with serious issues in their relationship - i.e. abuse, addiction, repeated inﬁdelity, clinical depression, psychological disorder, or uncontrollable anger - marriage mentors must refer them to a therapist or counsellor who has extensive experience in the area of concern.
- Overreactors: Their values may differ from those of the couple they are mentoring. They may say or do things differently but they avoid criticism and judgment.
- Rescuers or “on call” for every little crisis. They try not to foster dependency upon couples and tend to direct the couple to discover their own solutions.
Tune in next week for more qualities of marriage mentors and the beneﬁts to couples and marriage mentors through the mentoring process.
Simply click on the Register button below relevant to your relationship - it couldn't be easier. Once you have finished the questions you should receive your comprehensive personalised report in about 30 seconds.
The Couple Checkup generates deep and productive conversations that couples would not otherwise have about their relationship. These conversations restore insight and understanding about one another. The Couple Checkup can help to revive a relationship and increase intimacy.
The Couple Checkup is an online couple assessment based on the PREPARE/ENRICH couple inventories. The Checkup assessment and Checkup report are designed to go directly to couples at any stage of their relationship (dating, engaged or married). The online system allows for dynamic customization of the assessment to each couple based on how the couple answers background questions. The goal is for the Couple Checkup to reach a more diverse group of couples, to empower couples to deal with issues on their own and to emphasize prevention over remediation.